You must prepare for the exam by studying the WAEC Cosmetology syllabus. The format, notes, and goals for the cosmetology exam are all included.
The Cosmetology syllabus must be studied in order to prepare for the exam. You can use it as a guide to help you decide which topics to read about. Additionally, there are notes on ideas that you ought to learn carefully.
Exam preparation without reference to the Cosmetology syllabus is equivalent to visiting a farm without your farm equipment. You won’t be effective in the end.
Make sure to use the syllabus when you start your exam preparations.
The West African Examination Council’s Cosmetology syllabus and suggested textbooks are included in this article (WAEC).
WAEC Cosmetology Syllabus
Papers 1, 2, and 3 are the three required papers that must all be taken. The first and second papers will be combined exams that must be taken all at once.
First paper: 40 multiple-choice objective questions with a 40-minute time limit and 40 points.
PAPER 2: The paper will be 1 hour and 20 minutes long and have the following Sections A and B:
Section A: This will have one mandatory question for 30 marks that will be selected from Sections A, B, and G of the syllabus.
Section B: Three questions from Sections C, D, E, and F of the curriculum will make up this section. Candidates will need to respond to two questions, each carrying 25 marks.
Paper 3: There will be three required questions on this practical work test paper. It will take one hour and have an 80-point grade.
Introduction to Cosmetology
- Aspects of cosmetology.
- Professional Ethics
- Professional ethics.
- Good and poor ethics of cosmetology.
- Qualities of a cosmetologist.
General Safety Precaution/Hygiene
- Personal/client Safety
- Personal safety.
- Client safety.
- Personal Hygiene
- Definition of personal hygiene.
- Rules of Personal Hygiene
- Rules for Personal hygiene.
- Grooming and grooming materials.
- Sterilization of tools
- Definition of sterilization.
- Methods and types of sterilization.
- Materials and sterilization.
- Process of sterilization.
- First Aid
- Definition of first aid.
- Contents of a first aid box and its uses.
- First aid treatment.
Tools, Equipment and Materials
- Cosmetic tools, Equipment and Materials.
- General tools, equipment and materials used in cosmetology.
- Classification of cosmetic tools, equipment and materials.
- Uses of cosmetic tools, equipment and materials.
- Maintenance of tools and equipment.
Haircare and Hair Products
- Types of Hair
- Types of hair
- General hair care
- General Hair Treatment
- Types of hair treatment – shampooing, conditioning, steaming etc.
- Stages of hair treatment.
- Scalp Treatment
- Scalp disorders.
- Scalp treatment.
- Prevention of scalp disorders
- Treatment of Hair loss
- Hair loss – causes prevention and treatment.
- Tinting and Colouring of Hair
- Definition of hair colouring/tinting.
- Types of hair colouring.
- Tools and instruments used for hair colouring.
- Chemical Hair Relaxers
- Definition of hair relaxer
- Types of hair relaxers – cold waves, texturizers etc.
- Tools and materials for hair relaxing.
- Procedure for chemical hair relaxing.
- Safety precautions in applying chemical hair relaxers.
- Artificial Hair
- Difference between hairpieces and wigs.
- Types of hairpieces and wigs.
- Reasons for wearing wigs.
- Caring for wigs and hairpieces.
- Tips for buying hairpieces and wigs.
- Procedure for fixing artificial hair.
- Hair Weaving
- Hair weaving – Reasons for weaving, tools and materials.
- Types of hairpieces for weaving.
- Brand names of hairpieces.
- Hair Barbering
- Definition of barbering.
- Common hair diseases are associated with barbering.
- Risks associated with barbering and safety measures.
- Barbering tools, materials and their maintenance.
- Shampoos and Hair Conditioners
- Shampoos and conditioners.
- Reasons for hair shampooing and conditioning.
- Techniques for hair shampooing and conditioning.
- Safety precautions for shampooing and conditioning.
Face and Body Care
- Skin – Definition and types of skin
- Types of skincare products and their usage.
- Abuse of skincare products.
- Common skin problems and treatments.
- Colour Wheel/chart
- Classification of colours
- Colour wheel/chart.
- Application of Facial Make-up
- Types of facial make-up
- Reasons for facial make-up
- Application of facial make-up
- Safety precautions in the application of facial makeup.
- Make-up materials
- Maintenance of make-up implements.
- Facial Defects and Treatment
- Facial defects.
- Treatment of facial defects.
- Lips and Lip Sticks
- Lips – shapes of lips and types of lip colours
- Types of lipsticks.
- Techniques for lipsticks and lip colour application
- Eye Brows, Eye Lids and Eye Lashes
- Types and shapes of eyebrows.
- Materials used for eyebrows, eye
- lids and eyelashes.
Manicure and Pedicure
- Feet and Hands
- Care of feet – effect of shoes on feet.
- massaging of feet and trimming of toenails.
- Care of hands—massaging, application of oil and trimming of handnails.
- Nail disorders.
- Nail diseases.
- Definition of manicure and pedicure
- Tools and equipment for manicuring and pedicuring and their maintenance
- Processes for manicuring and pedicuring.
- Safety precautions for manicuring and pedicuring.
- Opening a Beauty Salon
- Conditions for establishing a salon.
- Salon equipment.
- Rules, regulations and laws governing salon business.
- Media for advertising
Major Equipment and Materials Required
- Dressing and styling chairs
- Shampoo bowls
- Washing basins
- Curling tongs
- Foot massager (chart)
- Crimping machine (chart)
- Emery boards
- Manicure Sets
- Generator (at least 3KVA)
- Sets of combs
- Gloves (Hair dressers)
- Cream relaxers
- Neutralizing shampoos; shampoos.
- Hair pieces
- Set of artificial nails
- Setting lotions
- Hair lotions
- Colour tints
- Hair sprays (oil sheen and holding)